Blog of the fan-turned-pro wrestler Ben Monaco

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Silver Lining

It's summer and the season of traveling for most of us. Just look at the meeting sites online and you'll see a peppering of profiles saying "going to [city X] from [then] til [that other day]" all across your screen. Of course, given the sparse nature of the wrestling community, we all put the message out there and see just how many matches we can try to squeeze into that allotted period of time.

Some time ago, I ended up going to New York City for a quick weekend. There were a handful of guys that I had intended to meet up with on this trip and so I tried to plan ahead as best I could. Side note: if you weren't one of the guys in my plans this time, don't worry, I'll get to you eventually! There are only so many hours in the day and I try and get around to everyone in time.

That being said, my trip to NYC, unlike my recent trip to Natick, was a bit of a crazy mess that didn't quite go anything as planned. The theme of the weekend was "I know I said this time and this day, but yeah, it's actually going to be this other time and this other day." Match after match was pushed back, modified or simply cancelled due to unforeseen events.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at all about this. I know that this is the kind of thing that happens. We all have lives and none of us sit around our homes waiting for the next instant message inviting us to a match with some handsome stud. We all try to live up to our commitments and, sometimes, the world gets in the way. I've had this happen countless times on other journeys out of my home town and I try to stay upbeat about it.

Still, I soldiered on and tried to make the best of this hectic mess of a vacation. I am, if anything, a resourceful optimist. Sure enough, that optimism ended up paying off for me. Once my first plans fall apart I become very much of the attitude "whoever manages to confirm something to me right now will get the match."

On my final night in the city, I managed to secure a match with the normally-elusive Big Boy from BG East and other online-wrestling video fame! I had seen his pics and matches online for a long, long time. I was not disappointed when this big guy showed up at my hotel and gave me a good smackdown worthy of being filmed for BG even with some strong allergies impeding him from being at full strength! Gear, muscles, sweat, trash talk and cockiness were the name of the game! Big Boy is itching for a rematch and even willing to come out of "retirement" to take me on at BG East if the fans can drum up some support ;)

The New York trip was challenging in all of its crazy scheduling mishaps, yes...however, I ended up having crazy and fun matches in my short time there. Even if they didn't go exactly as planned, I enjoyed every minute!


But before I go....what do we think? Big Boy vs Ben Monaco? Thoughts? Suggestions? What would you want to see in that match? :P


No comments:

Post a Comment